Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties is the area's leader in emergency response following fire and smoke related damage to residential and commercial properties. By offering 24-hour availability, using the latest equipment and specially formulated cleaning products, and a team of highly trained fire and smoke restoration personnel, SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties is ready to handle your fire damage emergency. Our team will respond and be on-site to begin fire and smoke restoration services within four hours of initial dispatch. Prior to the arrival of our emergency restoration team, here are a few pointers and actions that can be taken to greatly reduce the possibility of secondary damage following your fire or smoke damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (603) 352-7251
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.